Read the full article at Patch.com or below:
Patch: Record-Breaking $1.7M Raised For Alexandria’s Spring2ACTion
By Emily Leayman, April 26, 2018
ALEXANDRIA, VA—Alexandria’s Giving Day on on April 25 was another record-breaking year, with $1,768,501 raised for 157 Alexandria nonprofits in just 24 hours. The 8th annual online Spring2ACTion saw donations increase by $176,042 from 2017.
The online fundraiser continues to grow, adding 20 new nonprofits this year. Participating nonprofits represent a wide variety of causes from health and wellness to food and shelter, arts and music, schools and PTAs, children and families, veteran’s programs, and animal rescue. In addition, businesses got involved, offering donations from a portion of sales to incentives for those who donate.
“We are so proud to be part of such a generous community” says Heather Peeler, President and CEO of ACT for Alexandria, in a statement “For the eighth year, Alexandria came together to support the nonprofits that are essential to our City.”
Some nonprofits received additional money prizes through random drawings and reaching fundraising milestones. RunningBrooke, a group that helps keep at-risk kids physically active, raised the most money of any group—$112,861. The Alexandria Soccer Association scored the most donors—713.
Here are all of the winners:
- Alexandria Soccer Association-$5,000 grant for having the most donors, $500 for most donors between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. on April 25
- RunningBrooke-$5,000 for having the most dollars raised, $500 for the most dollars during early giving and $500 for most dollars raised from midnight to 8 a.m. on April 25, $500 for most dollars raised between 11 a.m. and noon on April 25, $500 for most dollars raised between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Alexandria Harmonizers-$2,000 from Spring4ART for having the most unique donors, $500 for most donors between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. on April 25, $250 for Spring4ART nonprofit with the most donors between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m., $250 for Spring4ART nonprofit with the most dollars raised between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Urban Alliance-$5,000 for having the most unique donors, $500 for most donors between 11 a.m. and noon on April 25
- Together We Bake-$250 for having the most likes on its Facebook post during early giving
- Alexandria Crew Boosters, Inc.-$500 for having the most customer sales/mentions at Penny Post/Red Barn Mercantile, $500 for most customer sales/mentions at Red Barn Mercantile on April 25
- Nueva Vida-$500 for most donors during early giving
- Homeward Trails Animal Rescue Inc.-$500 for the most donors from midnight to 8 a.m. on April 25
- Arts on the Horizon-$500 for most donors from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25
- Casa Chirilagua-$500 for most dollars raised from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. on April 25
- Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic Association-$250 for Spring4ART nonprofit with the most donors between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., $250 for most dollars raised between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.
- Washington Street UMC Preschool-$500 for most customer sales/mentions at Penny Post on April 25
Spring2ACTion is presented by ACT for Alexandria and the City of Alexandria. Since it launched in 2011, it has raised over $8 Million for local nonprofits.
Sponsors include Alexandria Restaurant Partners, Grant Thornton, Reingold, Maria and Harry Hopper, McEnearney Associates REALTORS, Access National Bank, Beyer Subaru, Caudron Megary Blackburn Wealth Management Group, Comfort One Shoes, Holy Cow Burgers, Focus Data Solutions, John Marshall Bank, Penny Post, Red Barn Mercantile, Pork Barrel BBQ, Sugar Shack Donuts, Sweet Fire Donna’s, Yates Automotive, Alphagraphics, ALX Community, Brighter Strategies, and South Block Juice Co.
Community partners include the Alexandria Arts Alliance, Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria Economic Development Partnership, Alexandria Gazette Packet, Alexandrianews.org, Alexandria Times, Del Ray Business Association, Good. Works.Wednesday., Patch, Visit Alexandria, Washington Street United Methodist Church, Whole Foods, and The Zebra. Spring2ACTion is hosted on the Give Gab platform.
For more on the money raised for a particular group, visit www.Spring2ACTion.org.